#UDHR70 – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights at Seventy
The 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights is a landmark instrument in the history of human rights. Many of its articles cover Economic, Social and Cultural Rights! In the coming weeks and months, the Irish ESC Rights Initiative will join many stakeholders to celebrate the 70 years of the UDHR!
The Declaration was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in Paris on 10 December 1948 as a common standard of achievements for all peoples and all nations, and sets out, for the first time, fundamental human rights to be universally protected. It has significantly influenced the development of human rights law and policy, internationally, regionally and domestically.
The first way for us to celebrate #UDHR70 will be to contribute to the conference entitled “The Universal Declaration of Human Rights at Seventy; A Review of Successes and Challenges” organised by the Maynooth University Department of Law on 21st and 22nd June 2018.
This conference will include discussions by keynote speakers, in addition to a number of papers focusing on different aspects of human rights protection since the adoption of the UDHR.
Keynote speakers confirmed include:
• Prof Michael O’Flaherty, Director of the Fundamental Rights Agency of the European Union
• The Hon Mr Justice John Mac Menamin, Judge of the Supreme Court of Ireland
• Anastasia Crickley, Outgoing Chairperson of the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
• Emily Logan, Chief Commissioner, Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission
• Liam Herrick, Executive Director of the Irish Council for Civil Liberties
• Esther Lynch, Confederal Secretary, European Trade Union Confederation
On Thursday 21st June in the afternoon, Kevin O’Kelly will speak on behalf of the ESC Rights Intiative on the theme: ‘Amending Bunreacht na hÉireann to incorporate human economic, social and cultural rights’!
Draft Programme available here.
For more information and to register please visit: https://shop.nuim.ie/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=17400011.